Distribuir contenido

Guild Interest Weekends!

155 respuestas [Último envío]
Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Interesting discussion with TomVal this morning... he raises a good point.

(05/02 07:50:06) Chat.log started...
(05/02 07:50:38)  GoMe Marten: That's a good point.  Could you spend a minute to explain your ideas or thoughts in more detail?  I just started a log so I could post this to the GoMe website for discussion.
(05/02 07:50:58)  TomVal: greeters and Messengers should co-operate on that - Messenger keeping the list, Greeters letting know about such possibility
(05/02 07:52:33)  GoMe Marten: So, the Greeters would inform new international explorers of whom to talk to, to get international materials?
(05/02 07:53:33)  TomVal: here's my idea how this should work - an explorer bumps into GoG bevin, it becomes apparent his/her English is not good enough for effective comunication. Such explorer is offered OHB's new utility with auto-translation feature, and is asked if he/she would like to receive messages in his/her native language if it's available
(05/02 07:54:42)  GoMe Marten: TomVal> That sounds like an interesting idea.
(05/02 07:55:24)  TomVal: A list of such explorers should be than kept, preferrably by Messengers, since they are the source of most news. Than if anyone offers a non-English document, it is more easy to determine who would like to receive such document
(05/02 07:57:18)  GoMe Marten: TomVal> Hmm.  Problem is, when I speak to someone here - like I am speaking to you now - It would not be easy for me to read through a list of names to see if you are on that list, before trying to send you something.  But, I think you have identified an important problem and we should try to be creative about solving it.
(05/02 07:59:00)  TomVal: the third part are international bevins. There are a few of them - German, Dutch, Czech, Russian, and others not mentioned - their members could distribute introductory materials in their language
(05/02 07:59:24)  GoMe Marten: Oh, I like that idea.
(05/02 07:59:50)  TomVal: I thing looking up the list is the perfect job for OHBot
(05/02 08:00:01)  TomVal: I THINK ...
(05/02 08:00:20)  GoMe Marten: Hmm.  I agree with that...
(05/02 08:00:55)  GoMe Marten: It seems to me that OHBot could also tell players which GoMe member (name and KI #) speaks their language, so they can find a real person to talk to sometime, or can send KI messages to that guild member.
(05/02 08:00:56)  TomVal: oHBot is blessed by Cyan, as OHB announced yesterday
(05/02 08:04:54)  GoMe Marten: Any further points or suggestions?
(05/02 08:06:04)  TomVal: i don't think so, that's it for now, it came to my mind when I translated that document (not typed into MOUL yet, just on my harddrive, and found out there's no effective way to deal with it IC
(05/02 08:07:08)  GoMe Marten: Alright.  I will post this discussion on the Guild of Messengers forum and see what people think of it.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008

Uhm, I must say I haven't understood what TomVal is proposing, probably the piece of chatlog hasn't enough infos in it.

Marten could you elaborate on that?

kaeebonrai
Imagen de kaeebonrai
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 20 2008

Ahoy there, messengers!

I was actually at one time a Messenger, back in moul-mk1, before I joined the Writers. =) (timezone issues limited my ability to help out much, so my messengers involvement fell the to wayside, and with the return of uru, andros suggested I take the position of liason to the GoW. Though, I turned it down, as I can be a little controversial, and did not want to harm a guild I am quite fond of)

I'm very interested in creating social spaces, and have been wanting to work with you guys, finding what kinds of things you'd be after, for a "news age", for example =)

So, looking forward to working with my old guild, again. <g>

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

That would be a wonderful occasion for taking to the Cavern some useful Tools for us to use!

Feel free to start a new thread here to discuss about the new social space when you are ready to work on it :D

Thank you very much Kaelis!

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

The conversation with TomVal began when he mentioned he'd translated the Welcome to Kirel message to Czech, but then he realized... even if he gave a copy of this message to me, I wouldn't have any way of knowing which explorers needed that version (or French, or Spanish, or English...).  And Tom is right - unless someone approaches me and asks for the message in a specific language, I would normally hand out the English version.

So there is a problem, that we need help identifying international explorers (something the Greeters coiuld maybe help with, if they are interested), and a way to ensure the right translated resources are reaching them in-cavern.  Here on the website, people can subscribe in their preferred language - that's not an issue.  This is just another in-cavern challenge.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

A Bahro came to investigate the Fair, when there were only 3 people there.

It had a name:  NotABeast.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Noooo I missed it :/

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Here we are again guys!!

This weekend will be the one of the 3rd Guilds and Groups Fair in Kirel!

Here is the usual link for organizing a bit our Guild: http://www.doodle.com/bdme96mg2yvqp5sr

Unfortunately I will be out of town on the weekend so I won't be able to attend the Fair nor the All Guilds Meeting. I've asked Marcus Wheeler if he wants to be the Moderator of the Meeting this time; just in case he can't: Is there anyone available for this?

The Guild Meeting is scheduled for Saturday at 13.00 KITime.

Lunanne
Imagen de Lunanne
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Ene 17 2010

Well, I can come to the All Guild meeting but can not do any shifts. :( Got an important university project to finish and my procrastination as already pretty bad. I shouldn't give myself more excuses not to do anything on it.

blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 15 2008

I've put down some hours in the early cavern morning on Saturday, and the hours I'll be at the Guild Meeting.
On Sunday I'll be at a (Dutch) Myst gathering, so no shift in Kirel for me that day.

@Lunanne: have fun finishing the project!

grtz, blutec

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

I think I will be able to be there off and on, but can't say exactly when.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

kaeebonrai
Imagen de kaeebonrai
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 20 2008

I'll be in as well, and will be trying to divide my time between the writers and the messengers =)

Sirlazurus
Imagen de Sirlazurus
Desconectado/a
se unió: Feb 16 2010

So is the meeting still to go.

i want to go to the meeting today if is there anyone.

The Exelency of Desteny is Uru  and Discovery.

MY KI :   959586

Lunanne
Imagen de Lunanne
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Ene 17 2010

well I'll try to be at the all guilds meeting at 21:00 (GMT+1) uhm 14:00 KI time and I expect people from other guilds to be there too. last time there were quite a lot, most guilds were represented I think.

white
Imagen de white
Desconectado/a
se unió: Abr 28 2010

So, the meeting is over and once again we've had the occasion to communicate with the other guilds and groups, to hear what they're up to and to encourage collaboration.

For those who couldn't attend, a chatlog can be found here, but if you don't feel like reading through all of it, here's what the guilds etc. are doing:

• The SR is working on the Remin district and plans to release areas to the public within the next month.
  • The GoMa is testing a few ages and would be happy if someone helped them.
  • The GoW is working on a successor for PyPRP as well as some Offline KI patches.
  • The GoG is planning to accept new members soon.
  • The GoR (i.e. OHB) is busy improving OHBot and looking for BETA testers for his new project, Uru BabelBot. Fortunately, that didn't keep him from joking.
  • The GoMe is rebuilding the newspaper and has received a lot of possible titles for columns or even the whole thing from the audience.
  • The GoC is... well, I still say it's dead.
  • The GoP is neither a political party nor a cult nor a religion. If you want to know what they are, ask for their informational KI-mails.

Okay, if you want to know more, you'll have to read the chatlog.

Oh, and Mr Pokemon71096 would like to tell everyone that he's having a public party tommorow (Sunday) in his Eder Gira 15:30 KI time. Contact him for an invite if you're interested. It's in the Calendar, too.

Thanks to Marten and Marcus Wheeler for emceeing the meeting!

n/d
Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Thanks Allen.

Copied, with some embellishment, to http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=343324#343324

blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a

Sorry, it's pc crashing time apparently at my home, couldn't make first hour on my shift to get in, en it wouldn't let me play in the evening as well, when we had the meeting.
Have fun today!

grtz, blutec

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Funny thing, I had a problem with a PC crash this morning too.  But, now I'm logged in ('bout 30 minutes late, I think).

Nobody in Kirel now.  Yesterday, only TomVal was there when I arrived.  But, by the time I left yesterday there were about 9 people so hopefully it won't remain empty today.

blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a

Thanks for the chatlog Allan!

(06/05 22:45:08)  Tanshin: I can say that I have Adobe InDesign, so if you want me to try and lay things out, I'd love to

I've sent a PM to Tanshin, to see if we can work something out with lay out/design for the magazine, although there are no import plugins (InDesign -> Scribus); colors, images and fonts are "universal" :-)

grtz, blutec

Theremin
Imagen de Theremin
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ago 18 2008

That sounds very cool, Blutec. I do want to try and stay away from anything that would require our assemblers to have to purchase software, though, so as long as we can make it work with any type of freeware, I'm all for it!

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

I finally finished reading the Meeting Chat log. That was a great meeting once again!

Thanks to all of you who were there and helped coordinating the meeting ^^

Sirlazurus
Imagen de Sirlazurus
Desconectado/a
se unió: Feb 16 2010

so the meeting is to go or not.

i still dont know the time for the meeting guys.

hope anyone tellls me when this will be and the place.

The Exelency of Desteny is Uru  and Discovery.

MY KI :   959586

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Sir, all the informations for the Meeting were posted in one of my posts over here, with the link for Doodle and the Location. It was posted on the MOUL Forums too (and some others). It was last Saturday. White posted a summary over here. Watch more carefully next time.

For a Messengers Meeting you'll have to wait a bit more.

Musica
Imagen de Musica
Desconectado/a
Magazine teamMessenger
se unió: Mayo 3 2010

Ref. the guild interest weekends: 

I remained in Kirel for a couple hours after the meeting and about the same time Sunday and hardly anyone came by either night.

Musica

white
Imagen de white
Desconectado/a
se unió: Abr 28 2010

I believe every word you say. While the meeting usually almost attracts more people than fit into the auditorium, there's next to nobody who comes to the tables after it, except for some newbies who by chance link to Kirel for the first time. As I'm usually there at times more suitable for Europeans, I hoped there would be more interested people at the time you offered to be present. As it looks, there aren't. As far as I have found out, they tend to come in immediately after you have linked out in frustration (don't they, Lunanne?). I'm really sorry you had to stand around almost pointlessly. I know exactly how that is.

Which leads me to an important point: We've got to either advertise the fair more intensively (no idea how, as it's already advertised here, on the MOUL forums and by the Cavern Criers) or else to shorten it, as it's not too funny to have to occupy the GoMe table for 48 hours with nobody coming. Perhaps I should add that there is almost never anybody there occupying the other tables (sometimes, there's a lonely Greeter or Writer, but those are exceptions).

It would be a shame dropping the fair completely, after all we even got some valuable new members the last times. But if we don't get more people to visit Kirel during this time, I don't see the point in a duration of two entire days. Perhaps we should restrict it to the time before the meeting and perhaps a short while afterwards in case people have private questions to a group, such as membership requests, or missed the meeting.

I'd like to hear your opinions on that.

n/d
blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a

I don't think the number will go up the comming summer months (northern hemisphere). But I do think it's important to follow through with the concept, have something regular going on in cavern :)
Maybe we can use these quiet months to advertise and explain the monthly guilds and group fair at the guilds and groups, in their forums?
And maybe there's another event (besides the all guild meeting) that could kling to that weekend (DJ/music party at the start, contests) :)
Yeah, I noticed Kirel is a newbie hotspot lol, I got my share of grieving LOL (although it's also quiet on that front these days...)

Last month (RL) I've been asked to do some voluntary duties, and it was a similar situation (most of the time I had nothing to do), so this last weekend in Kirel I was prepared, LOL (when there's no one visiting Kirel, I'm reading/playing/learning/inventing/whatever on the side)

grtz, blutec

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

This is the problem of many events lasting so long.

More little events inside the Fair will definitely attract more people (Conferences? Parties?), if we can find people to make them. Reducing the time would be the last resource.

This discussion probably fits better on the MOUL Forums or the GoMa where Marcus Wheeler and the others can discuss with us.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Musica
Imagen de Musica
Desconectado/a
Magazine teamMessenger
se unió: Mayo 3 2010

Hi all,

I mentioned to Leo at the guild 6/19 guild meeting that it may be possible to schedule a musician to perform live in Kirel at a Guild Interest weekend.

It would depend on what style of music the leadership would want, when, and for how long. One of the goals for DMR is to promote a variety of musical performers and cultural events (talks on music topics, poetry readings ), which is proving to be somewhat problematic in the summer.    

I think it merits some more discussion.

Musica

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Yeah, Guild Interest Weekend is approaching.  My recommendation is that the international community focus on making this a very international feeling weekend - because lots of folks from the US will not be around (celebrating 4th of July - American Independence Day).  So there's a theme for you.